Saturday, February 23, 2013

One tough old cat

Well, I'm down to entries every 2 months -and this one only because I needed something to do while waiting for the cat to die. The other day my mother heard me tell someone it was time (for the cat) since all he does now is lie in the corner, get up to hobble a few feet, pee on the carpet and go back to lie in the corner. This naturally led to comparisons. I told her we were not going there. But I lied.

 When I took the cat to the vet 2 weeks ago he (the vet) assured me he (the cat) was not suffering (yet) and he (the vet) could support a decision to end it all then or take him (the cat) home. The prognosis was only for another 48 hours to 2 weeks. Then he (the vet again) tried to talk to me about his belief in "quality of life" for "people and animals." I looked him in the eye and said we were not going there.
  Three weeks ago (not that I'm counting) my mom was able to leave the rehab facility she had gone into for her broken pelvis 5 weeks earlier and come back to our house. Thankfully this meant no more constant guilt over not visiting enough, no more trying to time those visits to see the right person at the right time to get the right story -since her stories were not always right. Between her aging brain, pain meds and who knows what else the short term memory is definitely going. She often doesn't remember why she was at the rehab facilty - in fact one day she asked if it was because she'd peed on the floor here. So you can see the cat connection. 
 Meanwhile there's the 7 year old and the first born with the multiple handicaps further complicating the whole thing . By complicating I mean helping. Really. The former entertains Grandma and the latter helps out when I work (for money that is, in case you think I'm not working the rest of the time). The other 2 offspring mostly call in to check on the cat.
Also there's the husband who actually shoulders all of the coffee making and pill distributing and also the weight of the world when all I want him to do is rub my feet. This leads to yelling sometimes but for no apparent purpose on either side.
  On the other hand they do all need care and feeding too and if you haven't noticed I am only barely hanging on. Let's not forget I took on additional teaching responsibilities being a) flattered to be asked and b) greedy. Also quite possibly c) insane. Can you see this brain explaining discrete distributions? Not really. That will start this week and meanwhile I can't remember why I'm in this rehab facility either. (That was a joke, I am at home. Watching the cat breath.)

No comments:

Post a Comment