Friday, February 12, 2010

cowboys in the snow


I had a Martha Stewart moment yesterday and made Jesse a hobby horse. We drew a picture and picked the old sock and stuffed it, and glued on a mane and reins and painted a face and Voila! "I don't like it," he said as I handed it to him. And that is where being a battle hardened mom comes in handy, because I could laugh and know that in about 10 minutes he would change his mind. He did.
Later, I was thinking about the hardening from those "negative social views of handicaps" my niece had interviewed me about. They missed one. Perhaps not the worst but the most common in malls and pretty annoying. It is just hard to give it a name. It is that this-really-isn't-so-bad-it-doesn't-have-to-make-me-think-life-is-unfair reaction. The reaction that meant for years (basicly until the facial hair came in and he was not a cute little guy) I couldn't walk through a mall without someone having to say to me, "Oh, he's doing so well!" or "You're doing such a good job!" To the first I responded, "Really? Yesterday he could walk without crutches," and to the second, "Yes, I haven't beat him in public all day." Or at least I said these things behind my frozen smile and nodding head. Nod and smile. It is a handy skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment