Tuesday, December 6, 2011

the magic kingdom part III

The theme for today's blog is handicapped access (in a theme park or a theme resort).
I explained to the travel agent that access was very much an issue for us. I was willing to pay (with money if need be for gosh sakes) for acessibility but by acessibility I meant distance (as opposed to wheelchair friendly). No problem. Everything at The Kingdom is accessible and they'd request a room near an elevator. For all I know the original room we were booked into at Coronado Springs may have been right next to the elevator. It was also on the other side of a lake. You could conveniently catch a bus to get back to the lobby. Even the first girl at the check in desk looked at our group and realized this was not a good idea. The next room was in building 5 and "near" a bus stop. Here we are on our way. About half way there I asked my son, "Will this work?" "Sure." says he. "Several times a day?" says I. "Not really," his honest reply. So back I go to the lobby (after a detour to find the bus stop and confirm that our "near" and a perky young woman's "near" were not so, well... near). The final room was what at this point did indeed seem like a short walk and was, by our new standards, "near" a bus stop -and on the first floor so we didn't have to walk down any halls. What a relief (sarcasm).
At the end of the day, on our way back to the room after a traitorous trip to Sea World, I joked with some random employee about the trek back to the room and they suggested one of the complimentary wheelchairs the resort had. A wheelchair we could take with us into the parks and use all week and not have to rent another (as we just had at Sea World). Now I fully understand why this idea didn't occur to us. For one thing we has no idea they had wheelchairs at the resort, for rent or otherwise. For the another thing, none of the nice people at the front desk when I was this side of tears (and keep in mind you don't actually know which side this is) trying to figure out how we would manage mentioned it. Do you suppose it's part of the strict "don't ask, don't tell" policy enforced at the parks? Ah, you don't know about the policy. And how could you since they won't ask or tell? So I will in my next blog. (If the suspense keeps you up at night don't say I didn't warn you)

No comments:

Post a Comment