Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Red eyes


The glow you see in Jesse's eyes isn't the flash -it's just reflecting our feelings at trying to make "Grandma's house" livable for her this summer. Every weekend we have been making the 1 1/2 hr commute to try and fix the plumbing and ready it for people who (please God) have more expertise to come in and work on it.
Today was one of those days that rather than sandwiched between the old and young I felt blessed on all sides (ok, maybe not all, but at least those two) as Jesse hung on the side of Grandma's bed -did you know a hospital bed is just the right height for a 5 year old to hug the occupant? He "loves her so so so much. But not as much as Mom." So he does know who still does the cooking. Still it was a nice unsolicited bout of affection. Later, when a friend visited and Mom asked us to come in her room and then teased me about something I took a vase of roses and shook it over her while all the petals dropped on her. I don't know if the visitor thought we were both crazy but somehow it seemed very appropriate to me to have my mother lying covered with petals for the rest of the visit. Caregving can be entertaining.
Earlier I tried to advise a student via phone on her final research project and discuss outliers, and normality assumptions whilst Jesse chased me outside (I had some time before he found his shoes to do so) and yelled about his new car booster that he wanted to assemble himself as it had just arrived, and the money hungry college student painting the laundry room for cash asked about spackling. There are no normality assumptions in this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment