Monday, February 28, 2011

Seize the Day


I hate seizures. I understand why some cultures still think it is a sign of being possessed. Certainly My eldest does not own himself when it comes. It's not like seeing him ill, or asleep, or unconscious. It is such a completely "other" thing. The first time (when he was 9 or 10?) he had a grand mal seizure it was utterly terrifying. He had had seizures before but they were more like passing out -and there had only been a few we even recognized as seizures. He'd been on medication for those since he was 3 I guess. I was distressed (to be kind) that another malady was being added to the list and a helpful young doctor pulled me aside and asked, "He was 15 weeks premature, what did you expect?" How silly of me.
When he started having the "break -thru" seizures years later we soon realized that the spinning lights he reported were his aura and a blessing. Those lights mean he has time to get some where safe -or at least shut down his computer (that tends to be his priority) and call for us. Last week when we both bolted up in bed to that cry we know so well for "mom!" or "dad!" -well it was "dad" so I contributed by looking at the clock so I could time it. When the gagging sounds stopped it had been 3 minutes and I went back to sleep. That's how devoted I am.
In the fall (or was it the spring?) one day when he knew a seizure was coming he also knew we weren't home so he stayed in his room. Bad choice, sharp edged furniture. Fortunately son #2 was home but it was bloody mess be the time he went to check out what the thumping noise was. Naturally we were al over the map that day. In fact I can't remember exactly where everyone was but eventually we all met in the ER for the stitches. Maybe I already shared this. Can you tell it is all blurring together?
The thing is the seizures used to be about every 6 weeks. Never more and rarely less. Almost always in the evening. Pretty convenient. But not the last 6 (or 8?) months. Now we've had them 2 weeks in a row, morning, evening, here and there. The 5 year old has seen his share. One on Thanksgiving and one on Christmas morning between the stockings and opening the Christmas presents. In the middle of all that wrapping paper, all the nephews on my side with us. I naturally tried to keep it light and cheerful. Don't worry about the twitching and the flailing just look at these lovely gifts- I'll get back to making breakfast in, oh about 3 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment