Saturday, February 19, 2011

September shadows

This was the day before my baby went to kindergarten. I was ready though. I had my gray covered and highlites. I'd planned on losing weight too but well... I'd just have to do with the young hair. Orientation we meet the teacher. She is way young. It will be fun to surprise her with how old we really are, our "been there done that" moments. Then we read her little biographical introduction and it says she graduated from the local high school. That's right. With my first baby. I could have left the gray showing - she pretty much knows I'm old enough to be her mom.

By January I'm over the teacher being the same age as my eldest but I had this horrible shock helping make the MLK mobiles (don't ask) a few weeks ago. There's the year he died -1968. I remember the day. We were told at school. It was scary and then the riots in DC had all the parents in the suburbs hunkered down and being careful where we went. I knew I was the only parent of any child in that class who not only was alive when it happened but old enough for some (dim) memories. I know I'm not the oldest mom of a 5 year old in the world, certainly not the oldest parent. But trust me, in a random sample of say n=30, and in this neck of the woods, chances of finding anyone else even close is slim slim slim. And once again it didn't matter if I covered the gray or not. It's there.

No comments:

Post a Comment