Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Coherency


I told my mother today that she was obviously old and senile and I was going to have to call the doctor. She had come to lunch complaining of being confused. "Who were we at war with and why?" Also she doesn't seem entirely sure who is president. Didn't Clinton lose? I may ask the neurologist- and that did make her laugh (my mother, probably not Hillary).
Actually I am avoiding the neurologist. My first born (I think I will from here on refer to him as FB) called out frantically at 9:45 last night -just to "know where you are" he said. But indeed he was preparing for a seizure. He is quite coherent right up through his eyes rolling all the way back and will narrate his progress for me. "Here it comes. Yup, it's starting now." I am always grateful he then goes where ever it is one goes during a grand mal seizure and we are left alone with his contortions and the clock. A long time ago the neurologist told us to time the seizures because otherwise all we would know was that it seemed like forever. Five minutes is the magic number for us -when we would call 911, but FB has never gove over about 3 1/2 minutes. I couldn't opt for just clock watching this time since my other half (I'll call him OH hence forth) is "on travel".
I planted the tulip bulbs a few months ago in a pot so I could bring Spring inside for my mom. Not because I had forgotten to in the fall and the ground was too frozen to dig when I noticed them. No naturally not. I am a thoughtful daughter and I even chided the almost 6yr old (I'll give him an acronym next time), to "stop teasing Grandma with the potato chips." Maybe you had to be there ... still it wasn't quite what I expected to hear myself saying. It rarely is you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment