Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fear not...like that's gonna happen

I was obsessing aloud to a friend over my change in status in the fall, and trying to locate the cause of my discomfort. Maybe it is because if I think if they can do this what else will be changed? So she said, "Oh, you're being afraid of things that haven't happened." Error located... I am the queen mother of being afraid of stuff that hasn't happened yet. First though I have to think it all up and that is where my vivid imagination comes in handy. And if that's not enough there are weather forecasters...and birthday parties. But last year somehow we had the best party idea -a bike parade. The kids loved it, it was simple, it was different, activities (decorating the bike, riding the bike) were built in. Pefect. So we decide to repeat. This is where the forecasters come in. Sunday afternoon was the target, so 1st they predict rain. I can handle that. Then rain and snow... then 90% chance of snow, staring early and going through the party time. OK. The roads are supposed to be clear. We can switch to indoor games, sure indoor games for 10 active 5-6 year olds. The kindergarten teacher, the sweet young thing, turns out to have an evil laugh -I heard it when I told her who was coming. And then I wake up to the above pictured back yard, and the snow is still falling heavily. OK, we'll do snowball fights. Does this sound like I was handling things well? Good, because I tried to make it look that way -I was really trying to think of ways to leave home and let my better half handle it. And this is what my backyard looked like by party time. Perfect bike parade weather - if I hadn't told everyone to leave the bikes home. So what's a queen mother to do? 3 hours after they all go home I remember I forgot to tell the moms that there was a glow bracelet in the gift bag -NOT a honey stick (that's what my child thought it might be). So I left repeated and frantic and totally crazed messages on cell phones and home phones and emails. Of course no one tried to eat it after all... and the one over-twisted bracelet explosion only made a few stuffed toys and some small spots on the wall glow all night. The lesson here is that it's not just the birthday party hosts who should be afraid. And tonight is my last time with my baby when we are 5 and 50. Tomorrow we're 6 (allusion to famous AA Milne book, not that I've forgotten I'll still be 50). I was being a bit weepy over this. My baby said it would be alright because "soon you will be like Grandma with all your family taking care of you." Except for the soon part that doesn't sound too scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment