Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fairness

Nothing is fair.                    My mom doesn't say it's unfair exactly but she certainly doesn't sound as if she thinks it is fair that we can still walk and bend and see with both eyes (well more or less). Or that I went to college and she didn't, or that I'm not a widow. Sometimes I actually have asked her if she would want me, at my age, to be in the same condition she is?
  The 7 year old has been whining that it is not fair that his dad and I watched tv without him several nights (don't tell Social Services  but it's true -we did watch tv without him -unless you count the whimpering from the balcony).
 The twenty-somethings find it unfair that we have our own computers and cameras and food-supply. Or at least I assume their attempts to redistribute these things more evenly indicate such a finding. Also they've actually told me it's "not fair" that their father and I were already together when we were their ages. Or something like that. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to sort out but it's clear that while they are glad we have a happy marriage it probably isn't fair.
 The one offspring who you'd think could complain the most about fairness rarely does but his exceptions to this rule are generally quite impressive.
 So if you haven't picked up on it by now I'm not feeling all so fairly  my self. Grandma is at her home being cared for by her grand-daughter (my baby girl), who is being relieved by her brother so she can come back to spend time with a friend who is spending the rest of the summer out of state caring for her grandmother -and guess who is being asked to help with gas and food and etcs?  It's hot, I'm tired, I lost my temper twice today (1st with the debt collection company trying to collect a medical bill I don't think we owe -but it's a long story, and 2nd over inefficiently washed dishes -not so long a story but certainly as silly (did I mention the dishwasher is broken?)) (the double parentheses; my favorite). 
  Not to mention I'm discouraged that a movie about male strippers and another about a foul mouthed teddy bear are filling the theaters while the newspapers are crowing about the president's amazing victory (although to be fair it's not all that victorious).  Who was it who first mentioned trips in handbaskets?  Why is popular rule such a good idea? Oh that's right. It's fair...
 Still we did get our toes wet last week at grandma's. When we got all the way in  we didn't see the snake until we got out. What could make life more fair than that? 
      


No comments:

Post a Comment