Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Just a little fly

Today my eldest reminded me we needed to vote. Someone had given him a brochure and he read it and someone else had sent an email and he had considered and decided. Me, not so much. Also it was raining. But then I discovered the polling place was in the elementary school and it was my turn to pick up so what could be easier?
  The rain was pouring. After my good citizen decided to use the restroom he was at the front door -but no ID. No time (crutches+rain = anxiety) so I decided I'd have to make a 2nd trip.
  That meant waiting until after piano lessons  but at least by then no more rain. The sun is shining.
 At the polling place I immediately see an old friend and as soon as I "check-in"  and get my voting slip (some little piece of paper that I guess says I can vote) I go back to greeting. The voters were few. I and my eldest and my youngest are the only non-workers present. Meanwhile Eldest is awaiting his turn so once I vote I wave him over to the booth.
  But it seemed he hadn't checked in -I assumed he had as I chatted and he assumed I knew what I was doing waving him over to vote. The check in lady got excited, "You have to be registered to vote." I still thought they'd checked him in but were not finding him -or something so I said well he is. She looked perplexed -"Are you voting?" she asks him . No, I think  it was, "Is he voting?" to me. When the answer was yes they all looked surprised but she really looked it.
 Which is when I realized no one had seemed to think he was there to vote so they hadn't called him up to the table. They assumed he was just waiting on me rather than his turn. To be fair  maybe there is some other explanation (but as I've pointed out before this is my blog).
 No harm no foul since he then checked in and voted. So perhaps it's unkind to say the woman looked taken aback at his voting and knowing what was what. But I think it'd true and it startled me. It left me feeling a little bruised.  Did I mention this woman had been in charge of special education when we moved here? She didn't seem to think he knew much then either. I didn't think they wanted him at the table then either (so to speak).  I'm not bitter though. ... Just a little ragged around the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment