Friday, July 13, 2012

A long way off

  I am still sticking with pictures from last week! Clearly I am on shore in this one (hence the view).

On Wednesday the first phone call of the day was to inform us that while Grandma had said call the squad at 7am, at 7:15 she changed her mind. We were still on the phone when they arrived.
 It took us until maybe 11ish to get there and (miraculous, except not the one we wanted) the hospital was discharging her already. With a  "probably" new spinal fracture and instructions to do exactly what I'd been telling her to do for the past week. On the "plus" side my mom had figured out it would be easier to do this in a house with central AC and that she wasn't going to be able to get back to her bed anytime soon. BTW the above picture was not taken out her bedside window but it could have been. Whereas the view from her bed downstairs (a spare hospital bed in the living room) is of the ivy growing up the windows. So my beloved helpmate took her home and my daughter and I sacrificed and bought she-crab soup and bbq to eat back at Grandma's house as a break from packing up and feeding the cats and securing the boat etc. etc. The breeze was lovely.
 Back at home the view was not so. I immediately tried to get caught up on my work (the kind I get paid for) and to miscommunicate as much as possible with my helpmate. He practiced miscommunication with the daughter and we both regretted drinking too late with the neighbors the night before. In 29 (almost) years of marriage I can count on my fingers (OK. I do need both hands) how many times we've gone to bed that angry at each other. Then I started thinking about how much we had (maybe) neglected the needs of our eldest (remember him? The one on crutches) the past few years. You can imagine the sleeping that followed.
  Maybe this will all look better from a distance.
Next blog I will explain everything there is to know about mother-daughter relationships, how I went from being a marvellous cook to unable to heat coffee correctly and figured out I can't please every(or is that any?)one.

No comments:

Post a Comment