Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Who are these people?

...and why are they smiling? It could not have been the weather. 102 in the shade and I'm not sure the parasols count. This brief moment was inevitably followed by a a desperate need to lie quietly in one of the air-conditioned rooms. Curtains were hung across the stairs to keep that conditioned air from falling into the rest of the house.
  Since Grandma couldn't make it further than the bathroom at the top of the stairs it didn't seem to matter too much. Naturally as the weather got set to cool we left. Except for the Grandma of course and my baby girl.
 The actual baby of the family told us as we left how terrible we were always taking him away from his sister. The sister called us 10 minutes out to say that Grandma wanted to see a doctor immediately and they would have to call the rescue squad.
 They didn't. We kept driving. Bad weather was on it's way etc. etc. By the time we got home the storm was just hitting us (oh, did you think I was being metaphorical?) and those left behind were without power from their own storm (now that could have been metaphorical but it wasn't). Frantic phone calls and then the power came back and our storm blew over. Metaphorically speaking.
  No real point in trying to convey the content, or context or anything of all the calls the next 48 hours. Phone calls while I was driving on 95, phone calls while in Walmart, phone calls while trying to find my email (another story). Where is your daughter? Why can't Grandma get up? Why should Grandma get up? What to do? Isn't this the same blog I wrote a week ago?
  Not quite the same because this time my beloved husband is/was fixing the dishwasher (saving us money) as I type. Until I have to stop typing and find the breaker for the pump and open all the valves in the house. Then I find alot of towels. Then I turn back on the pump and close valves. Mostly. I ask the 7 year old to turn off the ones upstairs. You know that sink never drained well? Then my husband rediscovers after 29 years of marriage that I don't know my left from my right so the valve he thought I'd shut under the sink to the dishwasher I'd opened so in fact all the excitement was un-necessary. But the loyal little one told him he was a much better "fix it guy" than the man who came here yesterday because nothing so exciting happened then. Then my husband went to bed -and discovered the sink that still had the faucets open. To give credit where it is due I am the one who figured out where all the water was going and placed the buckets in the basement, 2 floors below.
 So who are these people? Well not great home health nurses and definitely not plumber's helpers. And they are smiling because they were living 2 days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment