Tuesday, August 14, 2012

flitting on

Swallowtail on Joe Pye Weed on the Blue Ridge
Upon re reading my previous blog entry I can't help but think, "Wow, I am shallow." How can this be? I mean I have a really interesting family, at least from a medical point of view. And for heaven's sake I have a PhD. Also I cry easily. I  drink stout, preferably from small breweries that use bourbon barrels. I think some very deep thoughts. Profound even. Yet somehow in the act of  writing them down they just seem to go all thin and wriggly and spread out all over the place. So in my defense let me point out, First: Real life is pretty shallow.  Really, if we are concerned with the big things (true love, life & death, meaning) once we've got them we move on to what's for dinner (or where to park). I personally have been amazed for years by having my best friend, all round cute guy for a spouse -with whom I never seem to have enough time and still I worry over other relationships. Relationships which would only take away more of that time. No clue why  other than possibly still hoping to be Homecoming Queen (or President). Age only tones down the campaign (unless you're actually running for POTUS) it doesn't make it any more rational (especially if...).
  Second: Solomon, Paul, CS Lewis, Dave Barry, and of course, Georgette Heyer already said most everything  I'd like to claim as my own and mostly (depending on the translation and typesetter naturally) better. Peggy Noonan too. On the other hand none of them have or had, to my knowledge, a PhD or such medically and age challenged families. Therefore my concurment should give them a boost. Or maybe it is concurring with them that makes the case for my not having a total lack of not shallowness. In any case...     what they said. I concur. And vote for me.

 (Also do you think some oxytocin might help the politicians?)

No comments:

Post a Comment