Thursday, August 9, 2012

Irresponsibility etc.

 Status Update: (I'm not a Facebook-er (ee?) in real life but I play one in my blog). Grandma is with the other daughter (hers not mine). Speaking of my daughter, my mother accused her of "hiding the jewels" as a"game" which my mother did not appreciate. It took a bit to sort this out but it's true her granddaughter helped sort some jewelry LAST summer. Vicodin helped achieve forgiveness if reality didn't so much.
  She doesn't  have any signs of dementia other than these sporadic fits of convincing herself someone is moving her things** but this was the first time I've ever heard her refer to her "jewels". I would like to find them myself as they must have been well hidden a long time ago.
  The night before the big transfer I woke up in a sweat (well, more of one than usual this still being my early 50s) because I realized I had neglected to schedule her follow-up appointment with the spine gluing doctor -and while I was at it I also neglected all of the appointments for the eldest that he was due (or over) for this summer.
 I did clean out the basement so he could move down there and have more room and take that major step forward in life of being the weird guy who lives in his parents basement. And I threw away all the old AFOs* I'd saved in case they made a TV movie and wanted to use them on the actors playing his adorable younger self. No- even I didn't really think of this at the time. It was just always so difficult to toss something that had cost that many (many) thousands. Really -thousands, at 50% coverage because they are "durable medical equipment" -just like wheelchairs except for the part where they don't last and have to be thrown away. The last pair were fiber glass and steel and cost more than a wheel chair -an electric one.
   They need to be replaced (the AFOs, not the various  family members mentioned) but I am going to enjoy my irresponsibility a little longer.
* for years I thought AFO stood for a technical term beyond my ability to understand for these orthotics that held his ankle and foot in better position -it stands for ankle-foot orthotic.
** of course we do move her things all the time so it's not really paranoia but I swear no one hid the jewels

No comments:

Post a Comment