Monday, August 4, 2014

Selfies for the ages

I was told that, on average, people take 5 selfies a day (by people I am assuming female, American, smartphone owning and young). This is so narcissistic. You should either get it right the first time or have someone else take the picture (self portrait by proxy).

This is me -shocked to find I am enjoying a moscato. My daughter's moscato. I should confess to her that at my wedding (her father's too, although I think he'd deny this part) we drank our toast with Asti Spumante - just as sweet with the added bonus of being bubbly.

 This is also me on the bow of a sailboat in my cover-up, over my skirted but hot pink bathing suit. I am sporting a pony-tailed baseball (type) hat to keep my hair out of my eyes and as extra protection for my already shaded eyes. Also I just used the word "sporting".

Plus here I am with my 9 year old who still wants to cuddle whenever he is tired. Also on the boat was a friend who's a little younger than I am and his son and daughter-in-law. At least no grand children.

 This past weekend we took other friends to my mother's home (and home of the boat) whose son is the best friend of the life jacketed one here. Plus their 3 younger children. My husband and I are completely oblivious to the age difference we know exists until we're reaching for the ibuprofen and/or remark on some song we remember from high school but is clearly in the category of historical artifact. Still, we share a lot of the same musical tastes  (thank-you awesome 70's music) -far more than we ever did with anyone close to 20 years our seniors (it was just amusing on Happy Days).

It is confusing. I am the age of the ladies at church when I first joined who were known as "the older ladies" in the bible studies. Granted our church was a new "plant" and skewed young but this recollection still makes me wince. I liked and admired many of these women but I don't think I ever thought of any of them as exactly friends. They were in my mind almost a different species. In a vague sort of way I knew I was headed to the same place in life but not really. And apparently I was right because they were, well you know, kinda old, but hey, if I don't have someone there to do it for me I still take selfies and everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment