Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Playing Around

My mom is at the "rehab" place and they are pretty serious about the rehab part. The doctor there is optimistic she can get back to where she was functionally but says there is "no healing" of her porous old bones - just pain management. I haven't shared this with her and I am trying not to take it too seriously myself. My mom is used to ignoring pain but, it turns out, she is not used to having to work against it. Or maybe it is the being over 90 and the fact that it is a little tough to keep coming up with good reasons not to jump in the river other than a) someone would have to drive her there and b) neither her other daughter nor middle grandson (my side) could agree if the water was actually high enough. So she abandoned that plan and settled for making the next visitor (me) go out for ice cream. As if a broken back was not enough she is losing areas of sight in her remaining eye. She told a friend of mine who stopped by that she couldn't see her face but her "breasts were very nice." She is not losing her mind at least, but her "give-a-damn" is slipping a bit.

The plan is to "release" her this Saturday (so if you want to visit her now is your chance) -naturally since this is the weekend of the church retreat that I convinced myself a few months ago I should help organize. God is so funny. If I wasn't so tired I'd laugh. The tiredness is really the biggest complaint I have. Since mom fell I haven't for one reason or another had much sleep. My fear is if my students knew how little sleep I'd had before those last 2 lectures (one the night grandma was admitted, one the night after a certain daughter of mine called from college at 2am because.... oh you had to be there) they would NOT be surprised. On the other hand I never actually made a complete botch of anything, even if I did end up barefoot because somehow when I am tired and also kind of excited about explaining study design issues my shoes come off.

The video posted above is the guitar player's attempt at building a ramp for grandma's return and the little one's discovery of it's true purpose -and the fact that it (the ramp) is probably a bit steep. Also we will, obviously, have to get a rocking chair for grandma. Maybe if there was a little less playing around and a little more carpentry the ramp would be wheelchair ready. That would be no fun. Oh my shoes were off during the filming of this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment