Friday, May 30, 2014

the picture tells the story

... but mostly it's staged. Yes, he hit a plastic ball with a plastic bat into a very old window. But the look on my face is from trying not to laugh and he was simply being a ham posing there and looking remorseful. I mean he was sorry -kinda. But mostly he was living the drama. Probably if this had been either of his brothers 18 or 20 years ago I'd have been truly upset. Also, this being Grandma's house she would have been in on it too along with any aunts or uncles who heard about it. There would have been no need of acting skills. But this isn't 18 or 20 years ago and although it is Grandma's house she knew we'd be the ones replacing the pane and she only knew about the break because we told her -she needs something exciting. And this being 18 or 20 years later I've pretty well used up any outrage over the things little boys do (I don't mean in general of course -that would be sexist. I just mean as far as my boys and girls were concerned). Broken windows are easy now. They are fixable. It's not cold  so no warmth can escape and since there's no "central cooling" more ventilation is fine.
  What isn't fixable is being 96. I can't slow time down and I can't... . The thing about taking care of a very old and ill person is the only way my job will get easier is if... or if... Do I need to say I don't want my mother to die? Of course I don't! Except when I do. I am pretty sure I am not supposed to say that. If someone would tell me what else she has to look forward to here on earth (besides a nice dinner and a glass of wine) please do. The thing is I never want her to die now. Not too long from now, but never now. When she was so weak she couldn't make it to the table yesterday I tenderly fed her. (Grilled salmon and asparagus, OK?) She felt better after that. Back to normal today. And by normal I mean tired and in pain and grumpily making it to the table and asking for her coffee to be hotter and I find my tenderness all for myself. I may even feed myself... but very tenderly.
  So the good news is I don't sweat the windows because this job has an end I can freely look forward to. He's going to grow up and have to take care of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment