Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mixed up: Age confusion


Actually I have height confusion too. When the Home Depot woman said she "loved short people" I wasn't just surprised at her people skills. I was surprised she meant me. I knew she did but I'd forgotten again I wasn't tall. We are returning my next to last baby to college today -moving her in to her first apartment, and I thought we'd look up an old prof. I've kept in sporadic touch with. And then I caught myself thinking how fun it would be to tell him I'm an "adjunct professor" now. And then I realized that it might not be so impressive at 49. I forgot I wasn't right out of college -and only partly because I more or less am. It's like when I think maybe I should figure out how my IRA works and not just let my mom handle it, and won't the stockbroker be impressed at my adult skills? ... and then I remember -because I really had forgotten- that I can actually join AARP in another 3 months. Right after my last baby starts kindergarten. And then there are those times I am talking to someone who is easily 20 years older than I am and we are comparing notes on elderly parents and I realize mine is older than theirs. Or I am with someone my age but the music I grew up with and the depression stories from my mother are what they heard from their grandparents. The sudden moments of complete disconnect at Walmart because I am picking up a Kindergarten sleepmat, college apartment stuff and Serenity ultra pads-and none of it is for me (I swear (yet)).

No comments:

Post a Comment