Monday, August 23, 2010

the othe side of the look


I'll get to the title in a minute but first here is a moment from a week or so ago that was one of those this-is-the-life-I-always-wanted-to-live moments. It must be there to balance out the where-the-heck-did-this-come-from-moments. [Also alittle bit of a modern dilemma. Do I need permission to post photos with other people in them especially if, depending on the reality tv you watch, you might recognize them? I am going with the idea that since they're not named and it's a nice picture it's ok. Also, considering Facebookand all, I may be the last human being who even thinks this is an issue.]
There was this moment today when my not 5 year old son and his friend exchanged this look. Not a bad look. Just one I recognized. Perhaps I should clarify this was a friend in the girl category. And it was that "we're in this together" sort of look. And I was mentioning that the one I am in it together with and I need to write a will and figure out guardianship of Jesse should we go out together (so to speak). So there I am worrying about who will raise my baby and suddenly I am feeling way too old. And having just dropped the daughter off at her first apartment it is so clear that we are now on the other side of so much that we don't feel at all that distant from. So clearly we are old people who might very well go anytime and also, quite clearly, at least one of us will have to make it to Jesse's adulthood because I suddenly remember how very young I was too in that not so long ago. Most clearly, we had better stay around for all our babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment