Tuesday, April 26, 2011

PItiful me




This is, according to me mother (aka Grandma knows everything), a Stewartonia azalea. All I know is that it is so red digital cameras can't quite handle it. And I am glad it should still be glorious tomorrow when (the doctor says let's plan on) she'll be discharged. How can I feel pitiful when it's there?




But I do. And I don't mind if you pity me. It will give us something in common. Really I have never minded pity. Condescension, ignorance, stupidity, those things annoy me. Pity, however, especially the variety that comes with casseroles, I welcome.


Today's pitiful factor: I practiced taking care of the colostomy -not as bad as one might imagine -or much worse, depending on what you imagined. Then I went in the hall and cried. My mom on the other hand just tried not to look -not the best approach for reaching a goal of being able to manage it herself. We have to practice so tomorrow she can come home. They do give you a very attractive bag (no, not that bag) for your colostomy bag accessories. Also we can get free samples. That was exciting news.


On the way home I stopped and bought ... more plants. Some of them even survived the sudden stopping necessary when I realized what the red lights strung across the road were meant to indicate. I then asked me neighbor to pick up my kindergartner and her first grader from school today even though it was my turn. I think that was a wise choice.


Also, for the record I wasn't on the phone when I noticed the new light (it's been there 4 years but not the 15 before so it is kind of new) -I was listening to news reports about a face transplant, which, also for the record, is one medical procedure no one in the family has had yet. But if I do and end up with worse skin (as I was wondering about while driving), I will welcome any pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment