Thursday, April 14, 2011

snakes and flowers


This is an Eastern earth worm snake -actually I may be adding the word worm to the name and that's just what they eat. They are very cute and will wrap all your around your fingers. I always find them under rocks and logs when weeding and find them preferable to the equally common (in my yard) Black Widow spiders -it was the baby Wido spiders that converted me to gardening with gloves.

It was such a lovely day I decided not to exercise at the Y but to work in the yard. For some reason I've gone to the Y the last several Thursdays but I couldn't quite think why today. Was it because I drive the kids (mine + neighbor) to kindergarten Thursday mornings? Why had picked Thursday? Who knows. Between pruning and clipping and trying to write up an explanation of how to interpret an odds ratio without saying anything rude (you'd be surprised the opportunities for rudeness in statistics) it was time to go back for the kindergarten Spring party. The kids in mine's class know me now and a small group rushed me when I got in and one girl squealed I was late and then they all said my guy was hiding in the woods with the bears and the dinosaurs -until he came through and hugged me, and then there were several more hugs and I was feeling quite smug. I told the teacher that's why I came -since none of my students rush to hug me when I arrive. It was my ego boost. Which clearly God heard because 5 minutes later another child came up to me and said, "You look like a Grandma." He knew I wasn't -he just wanted to point out the resemblance. No amount of highlights, or skin care products was going to deceive this kid. And since I had noticed several parents in the room who clearly I could have given birth to myself... well until he said this I thought the problem was they looked too young. Mine of course doesn't think I look anything like a Grandma -since his Grandma is 93 in 2 days his standards are clearly in my favor.

On the other hand he has been telling me how beautiful his teacher's forehead (that's right, he's a forehead man) is because it is so "smooth and shiny". You've got to feel sorry for a little guy this surrounded by wrinkles.


...And failing memories. I have been worried about my mom's lately. SHe has a terrible time keeping straight what day it is and what our schedules are. And tonight I was looking at my calendar. Turns out the eldest's swim lessons are Thursday mornings -at the Y of course.


I don't remember this flower's name, but it's lovely don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment