Tuesday, June 10, 2014

I'm fine, you're fine....probably

Has anyone else noticed the new conversational tic is to say, "You're fine." And it is, at least here in the semi-south, said with great confidence and sympathy. Every time I start to say, "I'm sorry." or make my excuses now I hear, "You're fine" and for extra emphasis they might add "You are fi -ine." And I always believed them. They were so confident I was fine. Nurses at the hospital said it, the Dominoe's guy said it. Then I started noticing that sometimes people said it before I'd even had a chance to be sorry -or when I wasn't actually going to be sorry. Students (students!) have said it to me when I really had no need of re-assurance at all. On the other hand I've also heard it when I was pretty sure I was NOT fine. Look I think, I'm really mad, do not tell me I'm fine. I don't know if other people have this happen to them but I imagine I could be threatening violence and some one would pat me on the back and say, "No, really. You're fine."
 I personally rarely say, "You're fine." because I don't have the confidence. I'd say something like, "I think you are probably fine. At least I'm sure you seem fine to other hippopotami."
 Now if we were all in Kauai and all our drinks came with those little umbrellas (slash hair decor) we'd be fine. I could both give and receive a confident, "You're fine." Fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment