Thursday, March 18, 2010

In Memorandum


A dear friends daughter picked this flower -and its leaves yesterday. When it was noticed she placed it all back on the ground, and when asked she said, "It was just a little unpicked." Also she pinted out that it was, "in the middle of no where." The flowers (now in a vase by my mom) I didn't mind, but the leaves... I told her they would have fed the plant. I wasn't mad but those poor litle leaves seemed so sad and pointless in that little bundle. I grieved just a little. I don't know if I will be rehired to teach next semester. There is some justice and some injustice in the pending decisions but it had been my goal for so long to teach, and some other hey-I-have-a-PhD-opportunities are also possibly moving on (with someone elses midlatelife crisis), and altogether I feel sympathy with those leaves. Wilting in the sun -if you sense the melodrama here -so do I. Doesn't seem to matter to my psyche though. Away it goes all the same. I am still feeling crushed - even not really knowing I won't be teaching. In fact several colleagues have told me they expect I will be but just not knowing for sure is enough to make me fret over every student comment. And I thought employment was supposed to be empowering... so I baked a cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment