Monday, March 15, 2010

The lost weekend


Only lost in terms of blogging... We went for one more ski trip the end of February, the weekend they have this "race" for the adaptive skiers. There were about 14 participants, including about 6 legally blind participants -the youngest of whom was7 years old. There were 4 other skiers in these sit ski things like Caleb -some have one runner, some 2 (I think) and the "outriggers" can be fixed or as here held like crutches. At the end they had awards. We are not good parents -we would gladly have skipped this part. Everyone of course got a gold medal, but given in order of your best time. Caleb was last. And why I cared about that I have no idea but I cared anyway. Still he loved the sking and he got to do some the day before the race, and the volunteers stayed after for more sking in the afternoon. Jesse took lessons both days and then skied with his dad and sister and the offspring you'd expect to be snowboarding did that. At one point I realized all 4 of my children were "on the slopes" at the same time. I got pretty teary eyed -I wanted a gold medal.
We took my mom with us this time and I lost my head making the packing list before hand and started writing down all the meds and walking equipment and etcs etcs I needed to get into the car. By the time everyone went tubing I stayed with Grandma -not because she needed me, not because I don't love sliding down the mountain (and I'm pretty much a natural born tuber) but because I couldn't stand worrying if everyone was having fun anymore. So I watched the earthquake news (Chile) instead, and worried because my husband has family there. But it was still easier than trying to have fun. That's the sad old shape I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment