Monday, October 3, 2011

cloudy perspectives



Someone asked at a bible study the other day something about at what times "do you sense the presence of God?". That's easy. When the sun comes out. When the estrogen levels are good. "When do you not sense the presence of God?" Also easy. Invert previous answers. This is why I am wary of my senses. Gray rainy weather that lasts more than a day begins to make me question things and dwell on the worst possible answers to those questions.

Perhaps that's why I said something yesterday to my other and-always-sunny-on-the-inside half about the fact that knowing a person has a handicapped child changes how that person looks to others. In a word they look less sexy.

He took a moment to think about it. He said he doesn't think of himself as "the father of..." but I was probably right. Others do. I know I have watched those little clouds cross a face when someone (not every but some ones) learns I have a disabled son. If it is someone who has known me a while already it is just a momentary readjustment -but it is a readjustment all the same. It is, I think (caveat), why famous people suddenly become all "protecting-their-privacy" when a child has disabilities. The phot-ops are just so much less attractive. And suddenly they aren't someone you'd want to be because no one wants to join this club. As special as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment