Friday, October 28, 2011

Miracle (at the DMV) and other portents



This is a true story. Yesterday I finally took my eldest to the DMV. He will never have a driver's license but thanks to the TSA he now must* have a state issued photo i.d. to board even a domestic flight. We'd considered getting this i.d. previously but I kept putting it off. When did I have time to spend the day at the DMV? And in all likelihood two days since the first time around we were sure not to have the right documents.

So I spent several hours frantically searching for all the right stuff. His expired passport (so no good for the TSA) was issued before he was 16 so that was iffy. His SS card has gone missing. His SS statements don't have the full number on them anymore (the DMV site says these statements are aceptable but also that they must have the full number so...). Then I saw that the social security number was the one thing not required for the i.d. Then I planned to get there as early as possible.

We got there at lunch time. The worst DMV time. And there was no one in line for a number but the place was packed with people with numbers already. Then they called our number. Really. All documentation was in order and accepted and they took his picture and I paid $10 and left. In and out of the DMV in 15 minutes. There were about 10 people waiting just to get their numbers when we walked out. I tried not to look too happy because I was afraid of these people. I started the dancing on the way to the car. The cashier at BJs (which we now had time to go to) couldn't believe my story. She said if it was her she'd be telling everybody -which clearly I was already doing but oh well. It is an amzing story. And absolutely true.

When we got home the yard filled with birds. They were small and black and very loud and easily numbering in the thousands. After about 15 minutes they were gone.

Now even an earthquake in Virginia wouldn't surprise me.


*alright not technically "must" but without one he will be subject to "extra" screening, the airline could refuse him passage, and they are not obligated to accept even a birth certificate as proof of anything and seeing as how with the crutches they already not only pat him down but check al his carry ons for bomb residue since naturally people with CP are more likely to be terrorists I figured we'd miss any flight anywhere by the time we got out of security.

No comments:

Post a Comment