Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Confidence crisis: My evaluations

I'm up the mast and not sure I can reach the spar -metaphorically speaking. Of course I'm not the one actually letting my other half haul them up on a bosun's chair. I don't have the confidence for that. I'm skittish and a fretter. And I just looked over the most recent anonymous student evaluations for the not so popular statistical-ish class I taught this summer.
Dreams and goals are important. I provide here the comments (slightly modified from the originals) I dream of :
"The professor was very knowledgable but frankly I'm just not bright enough to catch on."
"Grading was fair. I totally deserved a D."
"Grading was unfair. I totally deserved a D."
" I thought the slides had too much information, but the other student's didn't seem to have a problem so I guess it's just me."
"Considering how difficult the material and how little time I put into it I'm surprised I didn't find it more confusing."
"I only wish there had more theory and less examples so I'd really understand what I was doing and be able to apply the material to something (or anything) that differs from the examples."
"The professor obviously cares about the students as demonstrated by the fact that she didn't slap that guy who kept asking the same question over and over and over again. Way to go!"

or, just once, "Due to my elementary knowledge of this complex material I do not feel qualified to evaluate this professor on anything other than my perceptions and feelings about the class, and these obviously have little bearing on its educational value."

What if there really was a Fantasy Island? Could we sail there?

No comments:

Post a Comment